By Melvin E. Page
The such a lot exhaustive reference paintings on hand in this severe topic in international historical past, concentrating on the politics, economic system, tradition, and society of either colonizers and colonized.
• six hundred entries masking ideologies, religions, concept, geography, imperial international locations, colonies, colonized areas, ethnic teams, members, and treaties
• Contributions from a world group of educational specialists in heritage, political technology, economics, sociology, and different social sciences
• a set of files representing each one imperial energy in addition to basic assets in terms of a number of empires and parts of the area to supply a deeper realizing of the methods of colonialism, which encompassed nearly the whole globe
• broad chronologies of assorted imperial empires (Austro-Hungarian, Belgian, British, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, eastern, Ottoman, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Russian, and usa) supply context for the varied entries
Read or Download Colonialism: An International Social, Cultural, and Political Encyclopedia PDF
Similar encyclopedia books
Many rituals and gala's occur in public, that means that such expressions of religion are societal in addition to person kinds of human behaviour. The similarity within the normal styles of rituals and fairs throughout cultures and religions is amazing. for instance, such a lot cultures and religions mark significant life-course transitions resembling start, marriage, and demise with public ritual expressions, and various fairs are tied to food-producing actions reminiscent of planting and harvesting.
E-learning has develop into an incredible strength in grownup schooling on any campus in any kingdom. in view that operating adults can't come to campuses for face-to-face conferences, buying wisdom via expertise, in particular net 2. 0s interactivity, can ensue wherever, at any time. The Encyclopedia of data conversation applied sciences and grownup schooling Integration offers entire assurance and definitions of crucial concerns, strategies, traits and theories in grownup schooling, grownup ESL (English as a moment Language) and knowledge communique applied sciences.
- The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Spells: 88 Incantations to Entice Love, Improve a Career, Increase Wealth, Restore Health, and Spread Peace
- Europe Since 1914, Volume 5: Encyclopedia of the Age War & Reconstruction
- Encyclopedia of Governance
- Encyclopedia of Volcanos
Extra info for Colonialism: An International Social, Cultural, and Political Encyclopedia
Muhammad Ali viewed a centralized government and a powerful military machine as the twin pillars of the state. He supported innovation and the importation of Western ideas, where such might enhance his control. His long-term goals centered on the creation of a dynasty and an Egyptian empire. At first, all seemed possible, as his Westernstyle army marched into Arabia, Syria, and the Sudan. Although a European coalition forced him to disgorge his Middle Eastern conquests, northeast Africa remained part of his Egyptian empire.
These victories contributed significantly to the final defeat of Turkey. Allenby was knighted in the middle of the war and thereafter received other awards as well as being raised to the peerage and promoted to field marshal. From 1919 through 1925, as a high commissioner for Egypt and the Sudan, Allenby showed both tact and firmness in dealing with the rising nationalist aspirations of the local population. As a chief British proconsul in the Middle East, he tried to stay apart from local political and religious strife and animosities, concentrating on the key imperial interests in the region.
Adwa, Battle of Chase, James. Acheson: The Secretary of State Who Created the American World. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1998. Aden Aden lies opposite the Horn of Africa at the southwestern tip of the Arabian Peninsula, commanding the entrance to the Red Sea. Inland, a narrow coastal plain quickly gives way to highlands. Aden became a dependency of the English East India Company in 1839, serving as a coaling station on the route from India to the Levant and Egypt. The islands of Perim, Sokotra, and Kamara were added to the colony later, and the British resident, or government agent, signed protective treaties with the numerous sultans, sheikhs, and dawlas (local leaders chosen on the basis of ability) of the interior.
Colonialism: An International Social, Cultural, and Political Encyclopedia by Melvin E. Page